Clonakilty Blackpudding Shepherds Pie
Serves: 4-6 • Prep Time: • Cook Time: 40 mins
A twist on the classic comfort food; a wholesome dish perfect for a school night supper.
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1lb of lamb/beef mince
200g Clonakilty Blackpudding, diced
100ml balsamic vinegar
300ml beef stock
2-3 tbsp of Worcester sauce
1 tsp of gravy browning
A handful of frozen peas
1kg of Maris piper potatoes
15g mature cheddar, grated
2-4 tbsp milk
A good knob of butter
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes in to even sizes.
- Place them in a saucepan with seasoned water and cook until tender.
- Once cooked, strain and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Now heat the milk and butter and add to the mash with the grated cheese. Mix well and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- In a large saucepan start frying off the mince until all the fat has rendered out and evaporated. The mince should take on a nice golden colour. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now add the onion and carrot to the pan and cook until softened.
- Add the Clonakilty Blackpudding and cook until golden brown.
- Add the mince back to the pan and deglaze with balsamic vinegar.
- Now add the stock and Worcester sauce and allow to cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens and reduces.
- Finally finish it with peas, a tiny amount of gravy bowing and a good season of sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Place the mince into a nice casserole dish.
- Place the potato on top and ruffle with a fork.
- Place under the grill, keeping a close eye on it for 15 minutes. Serve straight to the table.