Clonakilty Blackpudding Mediterranean Bake
Serves: • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
A delicious Autumn Aussie favourite created by Another Food Blogger
200g Clonakilty Black Pudding crumbled
2 Large aubergine sliced lengthwise
3 Sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 Cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 Cup fresh basil chopped
1 Round buffalo mozzarella sliced
3 Large cloves garlic crushed
500g Cherry tomatoes chopped in half
1 Red capsicum diced
1 Large potato thinly sliced
1/2 Tablespoon cumin powder
1/4 Teaspoon chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 Cup water
1/4 Cup salt to extract bitterness from aubergines
1 Litre water for the potatoes
100g Clarified butter or Ghee to fry the potatoes and aubergines
- Place 1/2 metre wax paper on a clean bench top.
- Place the sliced aubergines onto the wax paper and generously coat both sides of the aubergines with salt. After approximately 10 minutes, the salt would have drawn the bitter water from the aubergines.
- Rinse the aubergines well to remove all the salt and set aside on a paper towel to dry.
- Once you have sliced your potatoes, place them in 1 litre of water so they don’t turn brown.
- In a sauce pan add the olive oil and diced capsicum, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, sugar, cumin and chili powder and stir. Simmer for another 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 1 minute and then add the 1/2 cup water, place a lid and simmer on low for approximately 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes use a masher to mash the tomatoes into a sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat and add the clarified butter.
- Pat dry the sliced potatoes and fry on both sides until golden brown. Place on paper towel and set aside.
- Use the same pan or a grill with clarified butter to fry the aubergines, cook until golden brown on both sides.
- In an ovenproof dish layer the potatoes, aubergines, parmesan, tomato sauce, Clonakilty Black Pudding, mozzarella, fresh basil, cracked black pepper and then repeat process.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius for 25 / 30 minutes until golden brown.