CLONAKILTY SAUSAGE AND CHICKPEA CASSEROLE
Serves: 4-6 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
The perfect dish for all the family! This Clonakilty sausage and chickpea casserole is the best winter warmer dish to keep you cosy indoors when only comfort food will do.
1 tbsp olive oil
8 Clonakilty Sausages
4 Clonakilty Rashers, cut into small strips
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 leek, washed and cut into slices
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
200ml beef stock
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the sausages for eight to 10 minutes, turning frequently until browned all over. Remove from the pan, cut in half and set aside.
- Add the rashers and fry for five minutes or until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Drain any excess oil from the pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften. Add the leeks, potato and smoked paprika and cook for four to five minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and return the sausage pieces to the pan, along with the chickpeas. Cover with a lid and cook for 20 to 25 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, add the spinach and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, divide into bowls, top with parsley and serve with fresh crusty bread