Ying and Yang potato soup
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
A hearty dish perfect for the Autumn and Winter months. This parsnip and potato soup is the perfect dish served as a starter or main topped with a smoked almond and Clonakilty Black Pudding crumb and parsley oil.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, or ½ bunch spring onions, white part only, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 brown onion, diced
2 parsnip approx. 500g, trimmed peeled and roughly diced
400g potato, peeled and roughly diced
2 ½ cups/625 ml chicken stock ( or vegetable)
1 ½ cups white wine
125g crème fraiche
Salt and white pepper (or black)
For the Parsley oil
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the Crumb
2 x 1cm Clonakilty Black Pudding slices
2 tbsp smoked almonds, finely chopped
- Clonakilty Black Pudding crumb – in a small non-stick fry pan over medium heat, pan fry the Clonakilty Black Pudding 2 minutes each side, then set aside to cool. This is ready to crumble over the dish when serving.
- Parsley oil – in mortar and pestle, blend the parsley and olive oil thoroughly to achieve a bright green oil ready for serving.
- Soup – Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek, garlic and onion. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 4 minutes til the soft. Add the parsnip, potato, stock and wine. Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 – 40 minutes until the parsnip and potato are soft. Remove from the heat. Let cool a little, then blend until velvet smooth. Season with salt and white pepper if you have it to support the lovely white colour of the soup.
- When ready to serve add the milk and crème fraiche to the soup, and gently bring up to a simmer.
- Divide soup between bowls, scatter with the almonds and Clonakilty Black Pudding and drizzle the parsley oil.
Click here to downoad The Big Flavour Cookbook.