Clonakilty roast smoked bacon and cabbage
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
Is there anyone who hasn’t tried bacon and cabbage? Well using Clonakilty Smoked Bacon you can add another depth of flavour to this traditional family favourite. This classic Irish dish is a hearty combination of good Irish food and should be in everyone’s repertoire. You simply can’t go wrong!
1 750g Clonakilty Smoked Bacon Joint
1 large head of Savoy cabbage
500ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the Clonakilty Smoked Bacon Joint in a roasting pan, cover with tinfoil, and place in the preheated oven.
3. Allow to cook for 45 minutes with the tinfoil on and for an extra 30 minutes without the tinfoil. (*Allow 30 minutes per 500g of bacon plus an extra 30 minutes).
4. Allow to rest out of the oven before carving.
5. Finely shred/slice the Savoy cabbage.
6. Place a large wok on a medium to high heat and add a little oil to coat the pan.
7. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan and stir-fry until slightly wilted but still a vibrant green. Season to taste.
8. Add the chicken stock and simmer the cabbage in the wok for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Carve the Clonakilty Smoked Bacon Joint into thick slices and arrange on a large plate over the stir-fried cabbage.
10. Serve with steamed baby potatoes.