Clonakilty Blackpudding topped fish pie
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
Why not add a Clonakilty twist to a household favourite? With bags of flavour, this deliciously hearty recipe is to die for. The variety of fish, along with the unique blend of spices from the Clonakilty Blackpudding makes for a simple and delicious dish that delivers every time!
200g Clonakilty Blackpudding
800g fish (haddock, smoked cod, salmon)
200g frozen green peas
2 hard boiled free range eggs (optional)
600ml full-fat milk
1 small onion (quartered)
2 bay leaves
50g plain flour
Salt and pepper
1kg potatoes (peeled and halved)
Flat leaf parsley, chervil, chives
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes until tender. Drain and allow to dry out over a low heat. Set aside for use later.
3. To make the béchamel sauce: In a pan, infuse the milk with an onion pique (quartered onions, studded with cloves and bay leaves) by bringing to a gentle boil.
4. In a separate pan make a roux by melting the 50g of butter and mixing it with the 100g of flour. Cook out for a few minutes over a medium heat.
5. Add small amounts of the infused milk to the roux. Mix until each time you are left with a smooth sauce.
6. Continue until all the milk has been added, season and add finely chopped parsley and chervil through the sauce for extra flavour.
7. Cut the fish into equal generous pieces and mix into the prepared béchamel sauce.
8. Add the frozen green peas and place the fish mixture into a deep oven proof dish.
9. It is optional here whether or not you want to slice hardboiled eggs and place them on top of the fish mixture.
10. Crush the potatoes and crumble the Clonakilty Blackpudding through. Place on top of the fish mix and place in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.