Clonakilty Blackpudding, potato, char-grilled red onion and walnut salad
Serves: 2 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
This is summer on a plate for all you salad lovers! The variety of leaves, the tomato, the onion and the walnuts create a kaleidoscope of beautiful edible colour, while the Clonakilty Blackpudding adds substance and crunch to the salad. This dish is great as a salad for a barbeque or just as a quick light lunch.
1 Clonakilty Blackpudding (280g)
300g baby salad potato (par-cooked and cubed)
2 red onions (quartered and tossed in a little oil)
100g walnuts (toasted on a dry pan)
100g tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are best)
Chicory, rocket, baby gem, ruby chard leaves (washed)
Irish rapeseed oil
White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Clove of garlic
Dried sprig of thyme
For the salad
1. Slice the Clonakilty Blackpudding in to 2cm rounds and grill or fry lightly until golden brown on each side and warmed through.
2. Sauté the par-cooked potato to crisp the edges.
3. On a heated griddle pan char the red onions until beautifully caramelized and tender.
4. Assemble the salad with a layer of salad leaves, followed by a layer of char-grilled red onions, followed by the sautéed potatoes, a scattering of walnuts and tomatoes and finally some crumbled Clonakilty Blackpudding.
5. Dress the salad just prior to serving.
For the dressing:
1. In a sealable container like a jar add 2 parts Irish rapeseed oil to 1 part white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
2. Add in a crushed garlic clove and a dried sprig of thyme.
3. Leave to infuse together before use.