Clonakilty Blackpudding Croutes with Avo and Egg
Serves: 8 • Prep Time: 15 mins • Cook Time: 25 mins
200g Clonakilty Blackpudding
175g white bloomer loaf
4tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 ripe avocado, halved and stone removed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a dash of chilli sauce (optional)
a squeeze lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC/Fan 180oC/Gas Mark 6. Remove outer plastic from the blackpudding and slice it into 8 slices. Place on baking tray.
2. Slice the loaf into 8 (2cm) thick slices. Brush both sides with a little olive oil and place on a large baking tray. Bake the blackpudding and bread for 10 mins, turning both over half after 5 mins.
3. Whilst the bread toasts, place the eggs in a medium pan, cover with cold water and slowly bring to the boil. Once they boil, time for 7 mins, then remove from the heat. Drain the eggs, rinse in cold water, tap the shells, and peel away. Cut each egg in half and leave to cool.
4. Remove the blackpudding and croutes from the oven. Whilst the croutes are hot, rub the whole garlic clove over each slice to give a hint of garlic flavour.
5. Mash the avocado flesh until smooth, then add seasoning, chilli sauce and lemon juice to taste.
6. Spread the avocado over the warm croutes, then top each with a slice of blackpudding and half a boiled egg. Serve straight away.