BAD BOY BOLOGNAISE
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
Everybody needs a super easy and delicious Spag Bol recipe! This is classic Spaghetti Bolognese with Clonakilty Black Pudding crumb. This Italian favorite is a great dish for the family.
For the Bolognese:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 carrots, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
150 – 200g pancetta or bacon, diced
500g each pork and beef mince
1 x Fresh rosemary or thyme sprigs, or both
1 – 2 glasses red or white wine
1 tub tomato paste – 140g
1 litre chicken stock
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
2 bay leaves
Freshly grated parmesan
Fresh parsley finely chopped
4 x 1cm slices Clonakilty Black Pudding
- In a large saucepan add the oil and butter, once warm and sizzling, fry off the carrots, celery, onion and pancetta/bacon for 5 minutes until onion soft.
- Add the beef and pork mince. Break up with a whisk or spoon. There will be some liquid as it cooks, fry this off – 5 more minutes or so. Add the rosemary and/or thyme sprigs.
- Add the wine and tomato paste, fry a few minutes to cook off the alcohol a little.
- Add the stock and the milk. Season with salt and pepper and throw in the bay leaves.
- Lid on, simmer at least 45 minutes, preferably a few hours. Stirring now and then. To thicken the sauce, simmer the last 20 minutes without the lid on, or if the sauce is getting dry add more stock.
- When ready to serve, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Clonakilty Black Pudding crumb – in a small non-stick fry pan over medium heat, pan fry the Clonakilty Black Pudding 2 minutes each side, then set aside to cool. This is ready to crumble over the dish when serving.
- Once the water is boiling add the spaghetti, cook according to the instructions. Once cooked, drain the spaghetti and return to the pan, add ladles of Bolognese and mix. Keep any left-over Bolognese in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
- Divide into bowls, sprinkle with Clonakilty Black Pudding crumb and fresh parsley, plus freshly grated parmesan and serve.
Click here to download The Big Flavour Cookbook.